Research Associate - Seed multiplication World Vegetable Center – Mali Country Office, Bamako, Mali
The World Vegetable Center (WorldVeg) is a non-profit, autonomous international agricultural research center with headquarters in Taiwan and five regional offices around the globe. WorldVeg conducts research and development programs that contribute to realize the potential of vegetables for healthier lives and more resilient livelihoods. For more information, please visit our website: http://avrdc.org/
The WorldVeg Country Office in Mali, established in 2014, implements and provides oversight to several projects. The main projects are:
WorldVeg is seeking a Research Associate - Seed multiplication to support its activities in Mali. This is a nationally-recruited early/mid-career position that will be based at WorldVeg’s Country Office in Bamako, Mali and report the Mali Country Manager based in Bamako.
1. Assist in developing and/or supporting the regional program for vegetable seed production by strengthening the capacities of Public and Private Sector partners in the region to produce and maintain high quality seed of target vegetable crops;
2. Assist in networking with public / private partners to disseminate quality seeds of improved, disease free varieties;
3. Provide assistance in developing and/or standardizing the requisite seed multiplication protocols for target exotic and African indigenous vegetable species;
4. Assist in screening and multiplying seeds of promising and released varieties of selected exotic and African indigenous vegetables to increase genetic stability and seed quality;
5. Provide assistance in multiplying and producing foundation seeds of selected promising varieties for release into the variety release system;
6. Assist in establishing and maintaining foundation seed stock of selected lines to minimize viability loss and genetic changes;
7. Provide assistance in promoting increased and sustainable vegetable seed production and marketing;
8. Participation on technical training in seed multiplication for farmers and private partners
9. Participation at the organization of seed events
10. Regularly inform the Genetic Resources Scientist at WCA-D of the seed multiplication activities in Mali
11. Perform any other duty as may be assigned by the Regional Director of WorldVeg or the supervisor
This is a Nationally Recruited Staff position with competitive pay and benefits. The initial appointment is for 12 months, renewable conditional on the availability of project funding and priorities set by the project. The position is available as of February 15, 2023.
Applicants should submit in English:
An application letter
A curriculum vitae
A copy of their highest academic certificate (can be in French)
Names and addresses (including telephone/e-mail) of three referees
Applications should be submitted as a single PDF file by email to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating “Research Associate - Seed multiplication – Mali” in the subject line. The deadline for applications is 25 January 2023. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for in-person interviews in late January 2023.